The Royal Irish Academy

Founded in 1785 to promote pure science, history, antiquities and literature, the Royal Irish Academy concentrated on collecting Irish antiquities, many of which are now displayed in the National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology.

However, consistent with its policy of documenting Irish history, the Academy also acquired such items as Dean Swift’s wine bottles, dating from 1729, which were probably amongst the first glass bottles made in Dublin.

On display here too is the 17th-Century silver mace of the Corporation of Naas, Co. Kildare, which was presented to the Academy by a descendant of Thomas Burgh, the architect of Collins Barracks.

Next, read about the Museum of Irish Industry...

 
In this Exhibition
Web Design by Arekibo