The Cross of Cong
One of Ireland’s greatest treasures
It was made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the True Cross that was brought to Ireland and displayed in different places around the country.
The cross is so-called because it was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, county Mayo, for centuries.
The medieval Annals of Tigernach record that Tairdelbach Ua Chonchobair (Turlough O'Conor), king of Connacht and high king of Ireland, asked for part of the True Cross to be kept in Ireland. On his instructions, a shrine was made in Roscommon to house the fragment - long since lost. That shrine is the Cross of Cong.