Shrine of St Patrick’s Bell, Armagh, Co. Armagh. 12th century AD

Shrine of St Patrick's Bell - front
Shrine of St Patrick's Bell back

1938:9747 Replica by Messrs Elkington & Co., Birmingham, c. 1868

The original was made in the workshop of Condulig Ua hInmainen and his sons in Armagh. It is composed of a bronze crest and tapering body covered with plates of gilt silver that mimic the shape of the relic bell contained within the shrine. On the back is a panel of interlocking crosses in openwork surrounded by an inscription naming, among others, a king of Ireland, Domhnall Ua Lochlainn (1094-1121) and Domhnall MacAmhalgadha, bishop of Armagh.

 
Web Design by Arekibo