Archaeological Glass, Venetian Glass
Glass from the Roman area of conquest dates from the second Century BC and was manufactured throughout that empire. Two methods were used in production. The first utilised a mould, from which imitations of cameos and intaglios were produced and then applied to furniture, metalwork or glassware. The second method involved blowing a vessel of glass into a mould. The resulting type of moulded flasks are referred to as ‘unguentaria’. A series of parallel ribs, either applied or moulded onto the outer surface of the glass, is a characteristic form of decoration. Roman glass from the National Collection was found in such geographical locations as Mount Carmel, Jerusalem, Herculaneum, Hebron, Tyre, Nazareth, Sidon, Beth Gibrin, Cyprus and Cairo.
The Venetian glass collection dates from the 17th to the 19th Centuries. Well-known categories of Venetian glass include enamelled and gilt; colourless transparent (cristallo); crackled or frosted; millefiori (fusion of different coloured glass canes); and schmelz. This last method was produced in imitation of various precious stones and marbles, thereby giving a veined and mottled effect of bluish green and purple tints. The most renowned technique associated with Venice, and Murano in particular, is Vetro di Trina (lace glass). By 1830 - 1840 this method was revived, and consists of introducing fine threads of coloured or white (Latticinio) glass into the body of an object.
To read about the contents of Row 3 click Next