Additional Objects of interest on display in the exhibition
THE RAMILLIES FLAG
(On loan from Kylemore Abbey)
This flag was captured at the Battle of Ramillies (in Belgium) in 1706. This was a major battle between France and her allies and England and her allies, under the famous Duke of Marlborough. The flag was captured by Lord Clare’s Irish Brigade in the French service. It was probably part of an English royal flag. The flag was brought to Kylemore Abbey in Connemara in 1920 by the Benedictine nuns.
This Mauser rifle was the standard German rifle of World War One. It was probably brought back from France to Ireland as a captured trophy. It was then used by Staff-Captain James Moran of the Irish Republican Army in Mayo in the War of Independence (1919-21) and in the Irish Civil War (1922-23).
These have been donated to the Museum by the Curragh Military Museum. They can be tried on both by interested adults and children in the exhibition Galleries.
A FRENCH ‘ADRIAN’ HELMET
These helmets were introduced in 1915. They were designed to protect from the shrapnel of exploding shells. The dull colour was known as ‘blue horizon’. The idea of this colour was that a soldier is first seen far away with the blue of the sky behind. This colour should blend with the sky.
WALLET OF BARTHOLOMEW TEELING
Teeling, of Lisburn, County Antrim, became an officer in the French army, and was aide-de-camp to General Humbert during his Irish expedition. He was captured at the Battle of Ballinamuck, County Longford and later executed.
AUDIO-RECORDING: THE SOUTH MAYO FLYING COLUMN, I.R.A. 1921
Listen to this recording of Michael Costello, Tourmakeady, County Mayo about his memories of serving on the Western Front in France during World War One. He even met with a fellow Irish speaker in the French Army! After the war he was active with the Irish Republican Army in the War of Independence in Ireland, 1919-21. Recorded 1978 by Séamas Mac Philib.With permission of the Director, National Folklore Collection, UCD, Dublin.