There is one gated entrance to the National Museum of Ireland - Natural History, from Merrion Street.
There is a short ramp leading up to the main door (pictured left).
entrance is level with one set of double doors leading into the
main reception area.
- Unfortunately, as the Natural History site is a listed historical building there is no access for parking on museum grounds.
- The nearest public car parks are Dawson and Setanta.
- Alternatively, there is on-street parking (pay by meter) around Merrion Square.
are public blue badge disabled parking spaces available just down the street outside the National Gallery on Merrion Square West. There are also some on the east
side of Dawson Street, the North and West side of St. Stephen's Green.
Facilities for People with Mobility Impairment
- Lifts and Access to Galleries: The ground floor exhibition (Irish Fauna), Discovery Zone, Museum gift shop, and one restroom are wheelchair accessible. Please
note there are no
lifts to the first floor (Mammals of the World exhibition and Reading
Room) and there is no wheelchair accessibility to the first floor. Access to the second and third floors of the Museum are currently closed to the public. See Gallery Closures for more information.
- Accessible Toilet Facilities: An accessible toilet is located on the ground floor, next to the entrance. There are also toilets on the first floor, but these are not wheelchair accessible.
- Mobile Stools: Mobile stools are available upon request from the Reception Desk.
- Wheel chairs: Due to limited facilities, wheelchairs are not provided at this site.
- Seating: There is no seating available in the exhibition galleries.
Facilities for People with Visual Impairment
- Guide and Assistance Dogs: Guide and Assistance Dogs are welcome.
- Lighting: Please note that lighting in some exhibitions is low to address conservation concerns around certain artefacts.
- Touchable Exhibits: There are touchable exhibits within the Museum. Please ask a staff member or attendant to help you locate these in the Museum.
Facilities for People with Hearing Impairment
- Induction loops: We regret that currently induction loops are not installed in the Museum.