7. Who is Responsible for Granting Consents and Licences under the National Monuments Acts?
Only the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht is authorised to grant consent to use a metal detector for archaeological purposes within the State and to license archaeological excavations. There is no other form of legal authorisation or approval to detect for archaeological objects. Detection Consents and licences are only given to named individuals for specific sites .Licences are never issued collectively or through an intermediary.
You do not have Ministerial Consent or any other authorisation to use a metal detector for archaeological purposes as a result of
- your membership of any organisation or body;
- your level of training in the use of metal detectors;
- your use of a particular type/brand of metal detector;
- having obtained your metal detector from a particular supplier or source.