Join the Natural History team to take part in our Turlough Park BioBlitz. Race against the clock to find a snapshot of the variety of life found in our grounds. Find and identify as many species of plants, animals and fungi as possible using guided tools to help identify the different species.
Activity at a Glance
Level: 3rd to 6th Class
Group Size: Classroom Size
Location: Grounds + Courtyard Education Space
20 min: Presentation, ground rules for workshop, split group into 3 teams
40 min: Explore habitat and take samples
30 min: Identify samples, collate, results and learnings
Availability: 28th September 2023
Times: 10am to 11.30am or 12 noon to 1.30pm
Booking: Booking required
Bookings and Information:
To book the workshop contact the Bookings and Information Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Social, Environmental and Scientific Education (SESE)
Working scientifically (Questioning, Observing, Analysing, Recording & Communicating)
Strands (Living Things, Environmental Awareness and Care)
The Social Personal and Health Education Curriculum (SPHE)
Strands (Myself and the Wider World)
Natural Environments: Identify flora and fauna - local natural environment.
Environmental awareness and care: ecosystems – protection of flora and fauna.
Living things: plants and animal life.
- Discuss the topics of Biodiversity and Sustainability
- How to identify trees, plants and animals.
- What we can do to protect natural habitats.
- Learn about the natural and human features and phenomena in the local environment.
- Develop a sense of space: an understanding of how natural and human features are located and distributed in local and other environments and how and why they relate to each other.