Join members of the Education Team to find out about Lúgnasa customs and traditions and make your own Harvest Knot.
Activity at a Glance
Level: 4th to 6th Class
Group Size: Classroom Size
Location: Onsite Session
Duration: 60 minutes, 3 parts
10 min: Talk
40 min: Workshop
10 min: Q & A
Availability:Tuesday 26th & Wednesday 27th September 2023
Times: 10am to 11am or 11.30am to 12.30pm
Booking: Booking required
Bookings and information:
To book the Harvest knot workshop and to find out about available dates contact the Bookings and Information office at email@example.com
Social Environmental and Scientific Education (SESE)History:
- Local Studies - Feasts and Festivals in the Past; Story - Stories of Lives of People in the Past - Belief
- Culture in the Past - Cultural Activities.
- Early people and ancient societies – Values.
- Ordinary People – Communities - Appreciation of Culture
- Awareness of Shape, Form, Texture, Pattern and Rhythm; Strands - Construction/Making constructions/Looking and Responding
- Creative Thinking – Respond to Periods and Cultures – Regional Craft Tradition – National Heritage.
- Human Environments – Social and Cultural Activities – Social Environment.
- Discuss festivals in general; identify the reasons why harvest knots were made.
- Know the time of year they were produced, recognize the material used to make them and see the different styles of the knots.
- Learn how to make a Compass Plait Harvest Knot and receive appropriate guidance leading to a completed project.
- Insight into a traditional craft and past culture.
- Understanding the effect of the past on present culture.
- Discuss their own work and the work of their classmates.
- Discuss what the students will do with their completed knot.
- Review the content of the workshop.