We are delighted to announce that the National Museum of Ireland will be open late on Thursday evenings throughout September and October at three Museum sites in Dublin.
Opening hours are extended until 8pm on Thursday evenings at the NMI - Archaeology, Kildare Street, Dublin 2; and the NMI - Natural History, Merrion Street, Dublin 2
Opening hours are also extended to 8pm for Decorative Arts exhibitions at the NMI - Decorative Arts & History, Collins Barracks, Dublin 7.
Admission to all sites of the National Museum of Ireland is free.
Some exhibitions* to enjoy this September and October include:
- GAA: People, Objects & Stories - Discover objects dating from the 15th century to the present day, illustrating the influence of the GAA through the lens of social history, design and popular culture.
- Spoon Garden - An artist’s response to Covid-19. A sculptural work comprising vegetable-shaped silver spoons and silver seedlings, each displayed within its own wooden block. Created as a personal response to the pandemic, it is now part of the Contemporary Collection of Design and Craft at the National Museum of Ireland.
- Colmcille: Sacred objects of a Saint - 1500 years of devotion - a temporary exhibition at the NMI - Archaeology celebrating one of Ireland’s three patron saints on the 1500th anniversary of his birth, through a selection of famous artefacts associated with him.
- Ib Jorgensen: A Fashion Retrospective - an exhibition looking back at Ib’s long career, displaying a selection of some forty garments including day, cocktail and evening wear from across three and a half decades, supplemented with original fashion photography and illustrations.
- Glendalough: Power, Prayer and Pilgrimage - a temporary exhibition at the NMI - Archaeology looking at the history and objects from one of Ireland's most important monastic sites
- The Wonder Cabinet - a specially designed interactive learning space at the NMI - Natural History for visitors to get up close to a range of real and replica specimens exploring the theme of predators and prey
Opening hours for July, August & September:
Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm
Sunday and Monday, 1pm to 5pm
Thursday 10am - 8pm (September and October )
*Particular exhibitions at the National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts & History will be open subject to staffing. If you have a particular exhibition in mind when visiting, we recommend telephoning ahead on the day to confirm it is open.