Skip to content

Battle of the Four Courts

On 16th April 1922, 200 Anti-Treaty IRA under Rory O’Connor occupied the Four Courts. Under increasing pressure from Britain, the Free State forces accepted two artillery guns and began shelling the building on 28th June. Two days later a large explosion destroyed the building, leading to the surrender of the garrison.

HE:EWL.237d: Burned fragment of a tax roll (Limerick, 1737), found after the destruction of the Four Courts, 1922.                              

HE:EW.938: Hand grenade made by the IRA for use at the Four Courts, 1922.

HE:EW.939.46: Anti-Treaty leaflet.


Sign up to our newsletter

Keep up to date

Receive updates on the latest exhibitions