Find out about access for mobility, visual and hearing impaired visitors, as well as blue badge parking.
There is one gated entrance to the National Museum of Ireland - Natural History, from Merrion Street. A short ramp leads up to the main door.
This entrance is level with one set of double doors leading into the main reception area.
- Unfortunately, as the Museum site is a listed historical building there is no access for parking on museum grounds
- The nearest public car parks are Dawson and Setanta
- Alternatively, there is on-street parking (pay by meter) around Merrion Square
- There are public blue badge accessible parking spaces available just down the street outside the National Gallery on Merrion Square West. There are also some on the east side of Dawson Street, the North and West side of St. Stephen's Green
Facilities for people with mobility impairment
- Lifts and access to galleries: The ground floor exhibition (Irish Fauna), Discovery Zone, Museum gift shop, and one restroom are wheelchair accessible
- Please note there are no lifts to the first floor (Mammals of the World exhibition and Reading Room) and there is no wheelchair accessibility to the first floor. The second and third floors of the Museum are currently closed to the public
- An accessible toilet is located on the ground floor, next to the entrance. There are also toilets on the first floor, but these are not wheelchair accessible
- Mobile stools are available upon request from the Reception Desk
- Due to limited facilities, wheelchairs are not provided at this site
- There is no seating available in the exhibition galleries
Facilities for people with visual impairment
- Guide and assistance dogs are welcome
- Please note that lighting in some exhibitions is low to address conservation concerns around certain artefacts
- There are touchable exhibits within the Museum. Please ask a staff member or attendant to help you locate these in the Museum
Facilities for people with hearing impairment
- We regret that currently induction loops are not installed in the Museum