Skip to content

1704 and IHS are carved into the back. This may be the earliest known date for a penal cross.

F:1961.4

On the front of this cross the figure of Christ is in relief and the INRI is at the top with the central letters entwined. Symbols of the Passion of Christ carved on the front of the cross include cords (representing those that bound Christ to the pillar), a ladder, a spear, perhaps a skull, cock, crossed bones, pot and two three-lashed scourges. Below the feet of the figure, a carving similar to a St. Brigid’s Cross is etched.

Provenance: Elphin, Co. Roscommon.
Presented by Mrs. McGlynn of Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim who had received it from her father who was Church Sexton in Elphin.

Location:


F:1961.4 is located at:
On Display


Previous artefact:

F:1979.34


Next artefact:

F:1934.9


Sign up to our newsletter

Keep up to date

Receive updates on the latest exhibitions