WATCH: A heart-warming festive video featuring Polish children in Ireland explaining more about Christmas celebrations in Poland. Video shared courtesy of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Dublin.
Christmas Eve dinner is one of the most important celebrations of the year in Poland. Most of the dishes are cooked specifically for this special day and only once a year.
Tradition calls for 12 courses to be served, which is a symbol of 12 Apostles and representation of the 12 months of the year.
Christmas Eve dishes:
- Christmas Eve Carp (fish)
- Jewish Style Carp
- Christmas Eve Beetroot Soup with Mushroom Dumplings
- Christmas Eve Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom and Cabbage Dumplings
- Braised Sauerkraut
- Cabbage Rolls
- Wheat Flower and Honey Dessert Kutia
- Old Polish Gingerbread
- Dried Fruit Cardia
- Poppyseed Cake