Join artist Cas McCarthy to look at some traditional Christmas decorations and cards from the collection and make a variety of fun drawings with ink markers on translucent paper. These can be then displayed into your own simple cardboard lantern to illuminate the wonderful days around Christmas.
Activity at a Glance
Level: All ages
Group Size: 15 max
Duration: 60 minutes, 3 parts
10min: Christmas customs and traditions
10min: Q & A
Availability: Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th December 2023
Times: 10am to 11am or 11.30am to 12.30pm
Booking: Booking required
Bookings and InformationTo book this event, contact the bookings and information office
Social Environmental and Scientific Education (SESE)History: Local Studies
- Feasts and Festivals in the Past; Story - Stories of Lives of People in the Past - Religion - Beliefs.
- Culture in the Past - Cultural Activities.
- Early people and ancient societies - Early Christian Ireland – Values.
- Ordinary People – Communities - Appreciation of Culture.
Visual Arts/Construction: Concepts and Skills -
- Awareness of Shape, Form, Texture, Pattern and Rhythm; Strands - Construction/Making constructions/Looking and Responding
- Colour – Experiment with Colour.
- Creative Thinking – Respond to Periods and Cultures – Regional Craft. Tradition – National Heritage.
- Human Environments – Social and Cultural Activities – Social Environment – Religion.
- Discuss festivals in general; identify why Christmas decorations and cards were home-made. Learn how to make some simple decorations.
- Discuss what the students will do with their completed decorations; review the content of the workshop.
- Discuss their own work and the work of their classmates.
- Insight into a traditional craft and past culture.
- Understanding the effect of the past on present culture.
- Check out information on Calendar Customs and traditions here